Tuesday, June 18, 2013

When we grow up...


When asked as a 5 year old what i wanted to be when i grew up, i simply answered, "An astronaut, an actor, or someone famous."

When asked as a 10 year old what i wanted to be when i grew up, i simply replied with, "A police officer of course, so i can help people."

When asked as a 15 year old what i wanted to be when i grew up, i simply answered with, "Ever since i was young I've wanted to be a cop, and i still do. I want to work in the schools with kids, and teach them right from wrong. Either that or the Army or Navy"

When asked as a 20 year old what i wanted to be when i grew up...

Well i never really did get asked that exact question. It was more of a "Where to from here, what do you want to do with your life?" kinda thing.

My response to this was, "I want to teach. I have grown passionate about working with children. I want to make it a career. I want to run my own summer camp one day - but for now, i just want to get involved in the kids' lives at school."

Isn't it funny how our mind changes over time. The experiences we gain throughout life that simply guide us in the right direction.

It's crazy to think we all have to grow up. But I sometimes do wish i could be just like Peter Pan and stay young forever. If only Neverland truly existed. If only..

For me, growing up is a fear. I think it's the whole commitment thing. While we're young, we're so free. So independent though, yet so involved in anything and everything.

As we grow we begin to understand life a little more. We work. We earn money. We eat. We shop. We have fun. We work, and so forth. It really is a never ending cycle.

But for now, changes may occur. People will come and go, memories will be made, and an unknown path awaits us...

No comments: