Monday, November 22, 2010

The ‘Den - Part One


#105 Make snow angels

Kapristo Lodge was our home for the first 4 weeks of our time here in Golden. Accommodation and food was covered for the work we did around the lodge. Small jobs/chores such as baking cookies, cleaning the house, sweeping outside, trimming back trees and also working out in the woods on the sub division were all things we did during our stay. The weather was pretty reasonable, so we were lucky. There was only a small amount of snow – towards the end. I was pretty excited when I did see the snow, of course. After all we were up in the mountains and looking out over the snowy covered Purcell and Rocky mountains was simply amazing.

I really did enjoy living here. I loved the running I could do around the roads [lots of hills though], enjoyed the baking we did - all foreign cookies [but it was fun learning and making new things], also just being back out in the mountains. The house was pretty large. Included a big kitchen, sun room, lounge, dining room, 9 bedrooms, hot tub, large back yard and also living here were two dogs named Sheba and Eby. They were super cute and very playful.

At least one or two times a week we could catch the bus into the Golden township. Only 13km, this was the easiest way to get to town. Generally our time here consisted of flat hunting, a stop by at Bacchus Books to read, have a coffee or check emails, and a wander around all the shops. It’s a pretty small town – but it’s nice. Even nicer now that the snow has fallen. It looks so pretty everywhere.

Towards the end of our stay at Kapristo, Roswitha invited us along to Nelson, where she had a business seminar. We had a pretty awesome time! Michelle and I stayed at the Dancing Bear Inn. Here we met some interesting but nice people. The hostel itself was pretty good too, had a warm, friendly feeling to it. Our days and nights were spent exploring the township. Being able to sleep in and just do as we pleased was quite a good feeling. Had a tour on day two, with Roswitha’s friend Chris. We got to visit the lookout, a known waterfall, a mansion and also checked out and played on the outdoor fitness equipment down on the lake front. That night we checked out the local talent at an open mic night at a lounge right across from the hostel. It was pretty chill, and we had a good time.

Walmart the next day [Wed] was a big highlight to our trip [Golden doesn’t have on]. We ended up getting quite an assortment for the flat – so we were pretty happy. And it was just exciting being at Walmart after so long. Wednesday night we had dinner with Roswitha and Chris’ - Spag Bol – one of my favourite dishes. Karaoke that evening was a hit. Few laughs involved, also a few random drunks who along with Michelle’s help convinced me to go up and sing, not once but twice. I enjoyed it, I guess but now that I’ve done it I know longer have too. My first and last time ha ha. Well, we shall see =]
Our final day was my favourite. We met up with some other kiwis, Lisa and Matt – from Auckland and their two young girls. They took us up to the Whitewater Ski resort and we had a play in the snow, made some snow angels, snow dived and attempted to sled on the GT, but it was far too deep and powdery. I had a blast. It got very cold though. That night, we ate Chinese with Roswitha and Chris then headed out to Ainsworth Hot Springs. It was so awesome. Super warm and there was a pool inside a natural cave which was over 40 degrees. Beat that NZ.

The trip back to Golden was incredibly long [7 hours]. It practically snowed the whole way. The roadside and surrounding fields and mountains were also covered in snow. Winter had really started to set in.

I was pretty happy with visiting Nelson; I would really love to go back in the summer. Apparently it’s amazing. With its lakes beauty, the surrounding mountains and warm weather it really would have a wicked summery feel to it! It kind of reminded us of Queenstown a little, and the people were friendly just like those back home in the Naki. Yeah, that was our opinion anyway – Nelson had a very kiwi feeling to it =]

I am now at the new flat, we are all moved in. And it’s starting to feel like home. I love my little room, and we are going to the stores tomorrow to find some artwork to put on the walls, so they don’t look so bare. Not meant to have internet here, but right now there is some – not sure how long it will last though. I went running this afternoon – it was pretty cold and my first time running on snow. It was kinda hard, just like running in sand. But I now know that I can do it – so have no excuses really. Its weird running in so many layers as well, so worth it though. I believe the temperature was about -8 degrees today while I was outside. And I’m sure it’s going to get worse too. But its all part of the winter fun right?

I think the snow is pretty set now, I’m sure it’ll snow again tonight. The temperature is meant to get down to -17 this week. It is crazy to even think of that. But it’s not as bad as I was expecting. We haven’t seen the worst, so shouldn’t really comment. Time to publish this now; don’t know when the next entry will be – not too much happening until we begin work – just waiting on the boss to get hold of us! And fingers crossed that is soon.

PS Saw Harry Potter last night, it was superb. Can’t wait for part two to arrive, but at the same time – its quite a scary feeling as I have no idea where I am going to be then. =] Only time will tell i guess...

No comments: