Monday, November 22, 2010

Life.



They say “life is like a box of chocolates, ya never know what you’re going to get”.

They also say “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade”.

But really what is the definition of life?

And what is our purpose?

A friend once asked me that. And I had no idea; i guess i'd never really thought about it in depth, but it got me thinking…

So apparently we’re born into this world, we live [which mainly consists of growing, eating, sleeping, learning, working, travelling maybe,getting married, having kids] and then we die.

So what is the point?
Are we born to make a change?
Are we born to become sport stars?
Are we born to preach?
Are we born to be criminals?
Are we born to get sick?
Are we born to become famous?
Who knows – nobody does.
Are there answers out there?
I wouldn’t know. Maybe you do.

And then what is defined as:
A normal life?
A boring life?
An exciting life?
A life lived to it's fullest?

Or what about the term ”You haven’t lived yet?”
What defines ‘lived’ then?

I have been told many times “You haven’t lived" Thus, simply because i haven't been drunk, slept around or done drugs. Wow – that’s an assumption don’t you think? Or maybe i am missing out. Do i care? No.

But really, is this what life is? Cause that’s kinda lame [no offence]. I’m pretty happy with how I have ‘lived’ so far.

Growing up healthy, always having a roof over my head and food and water on the table, having a family, and friends always there for me, being able to enjoy school, and play sports all throughout my childhood, travelling to over 9 different countries, having a job and working hard in order to go live life on my own…overseas. I guess I am very fortunate with the things I have had so far. I am very thankful for all of the above.

I do have another question. What if I died tomorrow? Would I have ‘lived’ life? I feel I have but I still, and won't ever know if it was to its fullest. Sure, i should be happy - with what i've already accommplished though right? But there are still things I want to do; ambitions to achieve, places I’d like to see and a career in mind I would like to begin.
The quote “Live each day as if it’s your last” - as long as I wake up each morning and then go to sleep at night, I’ve lived that day right? Whether I’m overseas travelling or studying hard so I can become the ‘famous doctor I’ve always dreamed of becoming’ That’s all ‘living life’ right? But is there a real correct term of living?
Ah, the mysteries of the world. Life and Love and God – and how it all came to be. I often do ponder this. They say “God has a plan for us all” what it is exactly, I guess we’ll never know.

But for now, I am happy. The amazing people I’ve met, my family and friends, the ability to be where I am right now, and the awesome opportunities waiting out there for me are what my life’s all about.
Who knows what the future holds? Not me. Does it scare me? Yes and no. But i say - bring it on!

No comments: