Friday, April 29, 2011

Washington

Ah a place I never actually thought I would visit. I dunno, sure it has some amazing monuments but I’ve seen them all on tv right?!

Well when I realized I was going to be up in that area – I thought. What have I got to lose? I wasn’t too keen on checking out Boston or Chicago but those are the two places everyone keeps asking if I’ve seen. I think being a non-city girl myself I thought NY and DC would be enough. To be honest once I figured out I was going to DC I was pretty darn excited. Its amazing the info you can get online to help make your trip that much more exciting before you’ve even arrived.

I had spoken to a bunch of people who had also visited and all had thought it was superb.

My bus trip there was short and sweet. Arrived at around 8pm Sunday evening.

The Adams Morgan area was my home for the next 3 days. And boy was it buzzing. A strip of bars, restaurants, clubs and people greeted me. The hostel itself wasn’t exactly the flashest, but was just for sleeping. So it did me fine.

Tucked myself into bed reasonably early, and was hoping to rise early to get to the ANZAC dawn service in the morning.

Ok so that didn’t happen, my alarm either didn’t go off or I just didn’t hear it. I’m not sure. But Ben [another Kiwi I went to school with] also missed it too, so I didn’t feel so bad.

Left the hostel mid morning and headed to The US Capitol building and took a tour there. Union Station was next and what a lovely station it is. Grand Central is great, but personally Union Station was nicer. Slowly wandered back over to where the reflecting pool is meant to be, [no water due to construction] and met a girl named Hannah. Offered to take her photo for her as she was also travelling alone, then we switched. We ended up hanging out all day and that evening.

Visited all the famous monuments and took a whole bunch of photos. Washington monument, World 1 & 2 memorials, Thomas Jefferson and Lincoln memorials, and also went on a pedal boat on Tidal Basin. Was pretty cool, got to know each other a bit better. She is from Germany and is an Au Pair in New Jersey. She was just taking a brief vacation down to DC.

Throughout the day we could both feel ourselves getting burnt. It was just so hot and the sun was blazing down on us. We did stop by almost every water fountain we came across to dip our feet in. As did many other people. Walked past the White House but it was so busy due to some Easter event, so decided to pass on getting closer – even though Obama was in sight. Grabbed Maccas for dinner as we were craving McFlurrys, [you have to pay for the washrooms there - whaaaat?] and then we split and went to our hostels.

Morning came and i met up with Hannah at the Holocaust museum. It was so amazing! Very sad, but it was just so interesting. Hannah being German filled me in on a lot as well, and translated some of the signs/posters. I don’t think I could have been any luckier with who I went with. It definitely touched her as well, being her home country and all. I also didn’t realize how much Romania was involved in the Holocaust either. It was such a shock.

After our outing at the museum we split for the last time as Hannah was off to meet another friend and I was to check out the Air and Space museum. Another really great museum .The best thing about the museums is they’re almost all free. So much information though, I was pretty exhausted but wandered over to the White House and took some snap shots. It was still so hot outside.

Next on the agenda was finding the metro station to get to Arlington Cemetery. After several people directing me in completely different directions and my map not helping at all I finally found it. Arrived at the cemetery and wasn’t really sure what to expect. Okay it was amazing. I never thought I’d want to stay longer in a cemetery ever. It was just so peaceful and the surrounding area just seemed way more beautiful because of this. It really did look like a scene on the movies though, all the headstones lined side by side. And the view from the top of Arlington house was incredible. It looked over most of DC and I could even see the Pentagon. Saw the gravesite of President JF Kennedy and the Unknown Soldier, not really sure what that is but they were doing a ‘mock’ military style service while I was there. So got that on camera. Pretty neat! But yeah the sun was setting and it was just so lovely there.

Caught the metro back up to Tenleytown where I met up with Ben Schaare. An old friend from school. He’s on an exchange here. But finishes up in the next few weeks.
Had dinner at the College cafeteria with him and his mates, great bunch of people and the food was pretty good. Left the school at about half nine and attempted to find my way back to my hostel. So I crossed the wrong bridge and ended up in – I have no idea where. Eventually found a map at a bus stop and figured things out. Arrived back just after 1030pm. Showered straight away then hit the bed. I was so shattered. Hot sun, museums and walking x 2 days = tiring!!!

Morning came, packed my bag, and bummed around before heading to the bus depot to catch a bus to Union station, so I could get a train to Baltimore airport which is where I am right now. My flight is delayed at current. Of course that was to happen! Lucky me! The weather down south is apparently terrible. Tornado warnings and huge storms. Yikes! I dunno how the flight is going to be, hope it isn’t too rough! My fingers are crossed anyways. I’m more worried about missing my next flight, so hopefully that doesn’t happen!!




But for now, my Washington journey is almost over.

It has been so awesome exploring such cool cities the past couple of weeks. Meeting a bunch of new people and catching up with friends and family [cousins].

Next I’m heading ‘home’ to the land of the pines aka North Carolina where they talk funny – haha just kidding. I love there accents!

Staying there for 10 days, with Danielle and then Smiles [Margaret], I can not wait! I’ll likely see a bunch of other camp people too, so I’m getting really excited! Be so good to be back in the mountains again!

Fingers crossed I don’t have to wait too much longer!!!
[By the time I actually get internet I would have left]...

Okay next day. Arrived in Asheville close to 1am. [Supose to arrive at 8.30pm]. Delayed flight from Baltimore. Delayed flight from Atlanta. Then i missed my flight still. Thunderstorms and tornados everywhere. Had no idea where my bag was. And once we were flying over Asheville we couln't land because of the lightening. But we eventually did and such relief it was!!

My adventure to the pines is only just beginning...

No comments: